Sunday, April 11, 2010

I am, indeed, blogging

Why am I doing this?

For a few reasons. First and foremost I had been running a de facto blog with facebook notes for the last two years, and just never made the shift to a 'grown up' format. Another is that there is a discernible and unfortunate lack of Appalachians expressing themselves online. It is not that the mode is considered unacceptable back home; we tend to ask 'why would anyone care what I think,' and kind of keep things to ourselves. Well someone has to break that mold. I have always been an odd guy in that respect, so it seems natural.


The final reason is that it seems there are a number of people who have genuinely enjoyed reading my facebook notes, editorials, and my sparse published pieces. And considering that as a law school student I need as many distractions AS POSSIBLE, it seems only natural.

This blog will contain -

Political and social commentary

My observations as an Appalachian who lives in a place where most people do not quite understand my behavior. Which may be a colossal understatement.

The occassional satirical piece

Rants about college sports, because I am a huge sports fan

Anything people want me to write about, really

Anyway, I am going to go to the gym. I will be in the library all day, so at some point during my break I will post about something I have wanted to write about for a few days.

2 comments:

  1. there is a discernible and unfortunate lack of Appalachians expressing themselves online.

    Really, are you sure? (honest question; no sarcasm) I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few of us out there who didn't bother to identify as Appalachian in their bloggings. I know I rarely mention my heritage (because mine's ALL SCIENCE ALL THE TIME and also some dick jokes) except for a select few posts in which I'm pissed off at the coal industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am pretty sure. There is nothing wrong with some dick jokes. That has inspired me to write a post!

    ReplyDelete